Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chocolate Cheeks



Meet the comic artist whose graphic novels sparked a passion for drawing and writing comics in me that I didn't know I had. Steven "Ribs" Weissman. After reading my first Weissman graphic novel entitled "Don't Call Me Stupid," I asked the late Rory Root (of Berkeley's Comic Relief) if there was anything else "like this" out there that I could read (classic Ghost World moment, or something). He answered firmly, "Oh no. There's no one else like Weissman."

To cut the sappiness and get straight to the point--Steven is coming out with a new book in the fall called Chocolate Cheeks. He posts a lot of the artwork for the upcoming graphic novel on his blog: Sweet Chubby. I've read every Weissman book out there (I think), all of which follow the lives of neighborhood children with Hollywood monster and old Sci-fi characteristics. The comics are given the special brand name, "Yikes!" I was struck when I saw this image (above) on his blog. And intrigued. Though Steven's comics have dealt with another father-son relationship (between the Pull-Apart Boy and his scientist father), this image seems to take on an altogether more serious tone. I could be wrong, but I think we're in for quiet an epic, "heavy" tale this time 'round.

So go buy Chocolate Cheeks when it comes out in autumn! This is your 6-months-ahead-of-time advertisement. Hopefully it will be ingrained in your minds and you'll feel the need to stop by your local comic book store (say, why not go to best in L.A.? Hi De Ho Comics in Santa Monica, that is!)

1 comment:

WEISSMAN said...

Thanks, Emily!

I never knew Rory Root, though I've always loved Comic Relief. It's flattering to hear he was familiar with my comic.

Long live Hi-De-Ho Comics!

--RIBS